Treatment For Autoimmune Stomatitis

In the case of autoimmune stomatitis, drug therapy provides a visible, but short-term effect. Long-term results are extremely disappointing, especially the case of certain forms of the disease, such as gangrenous stomatitis in cats, which in the vast number of cases tends to relapse. Surgical treatment of autoimmune stomatitis, offers an effective immediate relief of pain. The procedure involves sequential extractions, starting with the most affected areas of inflammation. Equipment of this approach includes a wide excision of the inflamed tissue removal gangrenous areas, if any.

It would not argue some experts, who argue that the autoimmune stomatitis in cats can be cured solely by drugs, removal of teeth is absolutely necessary procedure in the treatment of cats with severe stomatitis. It can be for months to restrain inflammation drugs alone, but the probability of complete cure, especially against the background of a long-term effect, tends to zero. These results show practical experience in veterinary clinics.

At the same time, you need to remember that according to official statistics, a favorable prognosis after tooth extraction, autoimmune stomatitis, observed in 80% of cats. If an animal falls in the remaining 20%, drug therapy and surgery can only increase the length of life of the animal.

Excision of diseased soft tissue in the foci of inflammation is also necessary. The remaining wide flaps allow the gums to develop beneficial bacteria and viruses that lurk in pockets of fabric. In addition, inflammatory foci continue to stimulate the immune system of cats that provokes continuation of inflammation.

As a general rule, transactions are few. During one procedure is not recommended to remove more than two teeth. After each operation requires radiographic image that confirms the absence of debris roots. The surgical wound is sutured using tension gingival flap and conduct preventive treatment with antibiotics, topical and systemic.

Osteomyelitis can be a serious complication of surgical treatment, with tragic consequences. However, with proper experience of the surgeon and the scheme properly collected post-operative treatment of bone infection practically does not occur in practice.